I feel that

i miei amici e io

is a bad translation.

What would be the grammatically correct way to say it?

• Welcome to Italian.SE, @CarloRevelli! – Charo Oct 11 '15 at 17:48
    "i miei amici e io" I think is the right translation. Why do you think it is bad? – WalterV Oct 11 '15 at 18:24
    "I miei amici e io" is totally fine; mind that using the euphonic "d" before words starting with a vowel is usually preferred in order to articulate the two toghether with more ease (i.e. using "I miei amici ed io" as opposed to "I miei amici e io") : treccani.it/enciclopedia/d-eufonica_(La_grammatica_italiana). – kos Oct 11 '15 at 18:36
  • @egreg I don't see the ambiguity (perhaps you can point that out?), but the second point I'm sorry doesn't make sense at all, "I" is obviously a vowel. – kos Oct 12 '15 at 8:40
  • If you are satisfied with one of the answers to your question, please consider the option to "accept" an answer by clicking a checkmark next to that answer. – I.M. Oct 24 '15 at 9:00

"My friends and I" would be generally translated as "Io e i miei amici", " I miei amici ed io" is also correct.

Ngram Io e i miei amici vs I miei amici ed io

"I miei amici ed io" is the better translation that you can do. Please, note two things:

• "ed", instead of "e" has the final "d", which is better suited since the following letter is a vowel;
  • In Italian, it is better to put the first person at the last "place": putting it at the beginning ("io e i miei amici") sounds too "egocentric", and it should be avoided (see here also).
    Very interesting link: as usual several grammars essentially say that “Io e te” is the form everybody uses, but that's incorrect. Which is silly. – egreg Oct 12 '15 at 7:58
  • @egreg: Yes, you are right. That's the reason why I'd wish to add this answer of mine. In fact, "io e te" is correct indeed, but it doesn't take into consideration the "bon ton" aspect of the communication...an aspect that, maybe, is sometimes ignored by "strict-grammar" books. – Andrea Oct 12 '15 at 8:02
  • Grammars may take the “bon ton” into consideration, but if Italian speakers don't, grammars should adapt, not conversely. – egreg Oct 12 '15 at 8:30
  • Sadly enough, that's it... – Andrea Oct 12 '15 at 10:03
    To me it sounds more natural to say it the other way round, Ngram, for what it is worth, seems to confirm that. – user519 Oct 12 '15 at 12:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.