I want to translate this sentence into Italian:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_materialism

The main idea of dialectical materialism lies in the concept of the evolution of the natural world and the emergence of new qualities of being at new stages of evolution.

My attempt:

L'idea principale del materialismo dialettico si trova nel concetto dell'evoluzione del mondo naturale e la comparsa di nuove qualità di essere ai nuovi certi punti della evoluzione.

Is my translation correct?

If it's not , what would a native speaker suggest ?

Thank you in advance.

• I would be glad if native speakers gave their opinion about my translation. – keramus Oct 24 '15 at 7:23
  • Welcome to Italian.SE, @kerasmus! – Charo Oct 24 '15 at 8:06
    Thank you dear moderator. I am so glad to be a member of this great site. – keramus Oct 24 '15 at 8:10

L'idea principale del materialismo dialettico si trova nel concetto dell'evoluzione del mondo naturale e la comparsa di nuove qualità di essere ai nuovi certi punti della evoluzione.

You go really great up to "nuovi". I'd translate (making some more changes that are mostly a matter of personal taste) as:

L'idea principale del materialismo dialettico consiste nel concetto di evoluzione del mondo naturale e nell'**emergere di nuove qualità dell'essere **nei nuovi stadi dell'evoluzione.

(You usually use an apostrophe with della and dello if the next word starts with vowel).

UPDATE: I'm not too clear if the original meaning is similar to "lies in *the twin concepts of evolution and appearance of new qualities", or to "lies in the concept of both evolution and appearance". My translation reflects the first interpretation. In the second you would have

L'idea principale del materialismo dialettico consiste nel concetto di evoluzione del mondo naturale e dell'**emergere di nuove qualità dell'essere **nei nuovi stadi dell'evoluzione.

(i.e., both di evoluzione and di comparsa depend by concetto).

UPDATE: for the difference between di essere and dell'essere, as well as that between comparsa and emergere, see the comment by Mauro.

| improve this answer | |
  • That is, one should write "dell'evoluzione" instead of "della evoluzione", isn't it? – Charo Oct 24 '15 at 18:51
    Yes. The non-apostrophed version is not incorrect, but it does sound archaic. You'll find it in books up to 1700-1800, for example, as well as the old spelling for "degli", which was "delli". Currently you do not apostroph "della" only if it is the last word on a line; the preference for not having a line ending in apostroph being stronger than that of not having two consecutive vowel sounds. – LSerni Oct 24 '15 at 20:25
  • This translations sounds wrong to me in a key point: new qualities of being means nuove qualità dell'essere. This is no small detail, l'essere (with the article and sometimes capitalised) is a philosophical concept: it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essere I also see a difference between emergence and appearance. So: L'idea principale del materialismo dialettico è nel concetto di evoluzione del mondo naturale e dell'emergere di nuove qualità dell'essere in nuovi stadi dell'evoluzione. – Mauro Vanetti Oct 26 '15 at 16:47
  • Yes, I totally agree on dell'essere. I'm still of two minds about emergence - I've rendered it as comparsa, but maybe you're right on this too. Editing answer. – LSerni Oct 26 '15 at 17:12

I have an issue with the English too. Do you mean:

The main idea lies in the concept of (the evolution and the emergence)

i.e., there is a unique concept composed by, so to speak, evolution + emergence; or

The main idea lies in the concept of the evolution and [in] the emergence,

i.e., the idea lies in two different entities, the concept and the emergence (note: not the concept of emergence) (and it seems to me that you need a second 'in' in English too, don't you)?

In Italian, you would have:

l'idea principale si trova nel concetto dell' evoluzione del mondo naturale e dell' emergere di nuove qualità

and respectively

l'idea principale si trova nel concetto dell' evoluzione del mondo naturale e nell' emergere di nuove qualità.

They both sound grammatically correct to me; however, unless there is a reason against, I would use the plural 'concetti', which would make the statements symmetrical, so to speak:

l'idea principale si trova nei concetti dell'evoluzione del mondo naturale e dell'emergere di nuove qualità.

(in English too?)

• I think the main sentence in English means this :The main idea lies in the concept of the evolution and [in] the emergence, l'idea principale si trova nel concetto dell' evoluzione del mondo naturale e nell' emergere di nuove qualità. But I would suggest waiting for dear Iserni's opinion. – keramus Oct 25 '15 at 21:32

Althoug it seems the quoted sentence is a bit floppy under a syntactic perspective, the best translation I can perform is the following:

L'idea centrale del materialismo dialettico risiede nel concetto evolutivo del mondo naturale e dell'emergere di nuove qualità sostanziali al procedere dell'evoluzione.

Just I precise I'm not a native speaker.

Goodnight and see you in your dreams.

I'm upvoting the very good choices for risiede and qualità sostanziali (you need to say nell'emergere, not dell'emergere, though). – LSerni Oct 24 '15 at 17:43
    @lserni, thank you. I didn't use 'nell' because 'dell' is joined with 'nel concetto evolutivo' ('nel concetto evolutivo dell'emergere'), however what you suggested makes sense too, although with a change in meaning. – Elberich Schneider Oct 24 '15 at 18:16
    Ah, I see. I had thought that the meaning was "lies in the concept of ( (the evolution of the natural world) and (the emergence...) )". I may have to revise my own answer. Thanks! – LSerni Oct 24 '15 at 18:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.