I want to translate this sentence into Italian:

May the LORD reward you for your kindness.

My attempt:

Possa Dio ricompensarti per la tua gentilezza.

Is my translation correct?

Thank you.

Yes, for me the translation is correct. – user986 Oct 27 '15 at 6:46
    Sì, è giusta. Credo sia anche possibile dire: "Possa il Signore ricompensarti per la tua gentilezza". – AltGei Oct 27 '15 at 8:02

While in English you must double the pronouns (you/your), in Italian they feel redundant. I'd better prefer this translation:

Possa Dio ricompensare la tua gentilezza

| improve this answer | |
  • I looked the link you sent, it seems that Ruth is talking to her sisters-in-law. So the translation should be: Possa Dio ricompensare la vostra gentilezza (who knows why, in the italian translation of the Bible it reads che l'Eterno sia buono con voi) – N74 Oct 27 '15 at 11:13
  • Which Italian translation? There are dozens of them. BibleGateway alone gives no less than four Italian translations. Anyway, all of them mentions il Signore sia buono or usi bontà, so perhaps the English version given above is not too faithful to the Hebrew original. Also, King James Version gives «the Lord deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me». – DaG Oct 27 '15 at 15:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.