What is the best way to start learning Italian language? I googled up and ended on couple of free online resources that help you learn Italian or any other language.

But all those exercises seems like more of memorizing the phrases which are translation of an equivalent phrase in English.

Isn't there a way to learn it from scratch, like learn alphabets, learn to make words, classify them as verbs/nouns etc. and then form sentences?

Any help is appreciated, I am sure I will feel forget in a matter of days what 'Buongiorno' means if I don't memorize it everyday!!

Welcome to Italian.SE, @mbaxi! – Charo Dec 17 '15 at 17:30
    This looks like a very subjective question. I am not sure that it is suitable for the stack exchange format. – Federico Poloni Dec 18 '15 at 7:34
  • It's a soft question, in SE jargon, but it may make sense. – mau Mar 15 '16 at 18:06

I don't know if it's the best way, but it has worked for me: I've always learned Italian as an autodidact. I started with the Assimil method, based on reading and listening in such a way that you end up memorizing some sentences with the basic structures of Italian.

Then I used the site http://www.busuu.com to do writing exercises (I didn't find very useful the other kind of exercises proposed by this site). It works as a social network of people interested in learning languages. The site proposes you writing exercises that you can submit so that you'll get a correction from a native speaker. Each user of the network is both a student of a foreign language and a "teacher" of its own mother tongue. The interesting fact is that you can make your own circle of reliable Italian friends so as to send them your own written exercises. I'm not sure if this resource is nowadays as good as it was in the past because I haven't been using it very much lately and some people told me that it has changed in worse.

At the same time, I got an Italian grammar book for foreigners that I consulted whenever I had doubts, but not to do grammar exercises. I tried instead to use the language by doing these writing exercises and by communicating with my Italian Busuu friends. And I tried to read a lot (real Italian literature, I hate adapted books for foreigners) and watch some Italian films.

Charo, what did it attract your interest for the Italian language and why do you have such a great sensitivity to that? – Elberich Schneider Dec 18 '15 at 0:47
    @ElberichSchneider: I've always found Italian language so beautiful and Italian culture so interesting... That's the reason that pushed me to study Italian. – Charo Dec 18 '15 at 12:49
    Very interesting, just want to point out that the success of a path leading to learning a language is heavily dependant on the language one starts from as a native speaker. I can grasp Spanish quicker than German, for instance. – martina Dec 21 '15 at 22:06

I recommend https://www.penpaland.com. Penpaland is the free social networking site for online correspondence, cultural exchange, learning foreign languages, sharing photos, files and videos. Language exchange based website, on penpaland you can learn/teach Italian or any other language. By the way you can post articles about your language or read articles on penpaland.

I recommend sites like www.letspal.com because I learned French and Russian with practicing people there: erybody is really helpful when it comes to learning languages.

Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Jan 6 at 16:56
    How does that website work? Would it be suitable for someone who just starts learning a language from scratch, as asked by the OP? – DaG Jan 6 at 18:12

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.