In America we say the fuel economy of car as miles/gallon (miles per gallon). I know in some countries people use Liter/100 km (liter per 100 km). Some countries use km/Liter (km per liter).

My question is: which format Italian people use?

L/100 km or km/L?

Thanks.

• The answer is km/l. But the true question is: is this a question about Italian language? – Walter Tross Mar 20 '16 at 21:06
  • Usually it is km/l, but it's also common to use liters per 100 km (especially in brochures about cars). I don't think it's a question about the Italian language, though, nor “Italian culture” at large. – egreg Mar 20 '16 at 21:33
    Personally, I think this is borderline acceptable. If one had the necessary time and resources, it could even be interesting to search a corpus of Italian texts and to see how the use has changed in time. – DaG Mar 20 '16 at 21:46

I'd say both.

The traditional way is km/l, for instance in such questions as: «Quanti chilometri fa con un litro?» («How many kilometres does it do with one litre?»).

But, perhaps as a result of foreign cars and customs, even a classical Italian magazine such as Quattoruote gives its data in “litri per 100km” (see here for a random example).

I guess Quattroruote does not dare translate the l/100km data provided by manufacturers into km/l data, because of the rounding and error (confidence) interval problems that would arise. The precise translation of values would be too cumbersome to read, the approximate translation could potentially lead to disputes. – Walter Tross Mar 21 '16 at 11:10
  • @WalterTross: Yes, it's very likely. – DaG Mar 21 '16 at 11:14
  • Also the car display on even Italian cars like Fiat show instant and average consumption as l/km, not km/l – Diego Martinoia Mar 21 '16 at 11:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.