I've noticed that a lot of nouns and verbs which begin with s- + consonant denote a negative and/or opposite idea. This doesn't seem to be a feature of other Latin-derived languages. How did this come about in Italian? Is there a list of such words that I could study?

• Maybe it is a shortening of the Latin prefix dis-? – Federico Poloni Apr 26 '16 at 12:57
    More like from Latin ex-. – DaG Apr 26 '16 at 13:33
    See here (a bit hard too find due to the not-too-friendly interface of Treccani). – DaG Apr 26 '16 at 13:35

From the dictionary Sapere (De Agostini) : s- derives from the prep Latin. ex.

1. The prefix that confers meaning opposite verbs, nouns, adjectives (for example: fiorire-sfiorire; fiducia-sfiducia; contento-scontento).
  2. In the derived adjectives from nouns and in some verbs derived also from nouns, the prefix acquires value privative pejorative (for example: natura-snaturato; ragione-sragionare).
  3. In some verbs derived from nouns or by other verbs indicates away, exit, separation and the like, or suggests the idea of excess (for example: buca-sbucare; parlare-sparlare).
  4. In other verbs derived from nouns or adjectives, buy privative value or detrattivo (for example: cardine-scardinare; vecchio-svecchiare).
  5. Sometimes has intensive value (for example: gridare-sgridare).
  6. In other cases it has function only derivative (for example: doppio-sdoppiare).
  7. Sometimes represents the reduction of the prefix dis- (for example: dischiodare-schiodare).
| improve this answer | |
  • Please, note that here we have the policy of answering in English to a question posted in English and in Italian to a question posted in Italian. So could you please provide a translation to English to ensure that the OP can understand your answer? – Charo Jun 1 '16 at 13:27
    Oh, I'm sorry, I agree with you. – Alessandro Ornano Jun 1 '16 at 13:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.