I'm looking to extend my vocabulary with Anki, so I'm on the hunt for vocabulary lists. I'm looking for something that is:

• Thematically grouped (so context reduces ambiguity of meaning, e.g. tempo can mean time or weather)
  • Includes IPA notation (I find it easier to remember and use words if I'm sure of the syllable stress and pronunciation. This also means that I don't have to run to the dictionary to double-check every other word)
  • Available in eBook/electronic format (to make it easier to import into Anki without manually typing out 5000+ words)

I found some via Amazon that ticked these three boxes, published by T&P, however they were riddled with mistakes. Does anyone know of a good quality resource that fulfills the above criteria?

• you're probably not finding anything with IPA notation, my suggestion is to learn italian spelling as it's regular although a bit convoluted (less than English), the stresses can be found by looking up the words in any dictionary (the accents indicate them). That may make your search more easy. – Formagella Aug 29 '16 at 14:54
  • Yep, Italian spelling is mostly regular, but there are enough ambiguities (syllable stress, voiced vs. unvoiced z, etc) to make running to a dictionary every few minutes a real hassle (believe me, I've tried). Thanks anyway though! – Scoiattolo Sep 2 '16 at 12:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.