I'm training my dog by giving commands in Italian and wondering is there any specific word to tell a dog to drop something from a mouth. I believe both "cadere" or "scendere" could be used but I'm wondering is there a common "doggy" word for it.

Thank you.

And sorry for quite vague tag as I have no reputation to create specific one.

  • 2
    Neither cadere (= “to fall”) nor scendere (= “to go down”) mean “drop”; if anything, something like lascia o molla, but I don't know a thing about dogs.
    – DaG
    Jun 19, 2016 at 15:28
  • 3
    Don't use the infinitive, use the imperative. "Lascia" makes the most sense to me. Jun 21, 2016 at 1:16
  • The word language doesn't matter, for the dog is only a sound. It must associate the word to a behaviour, like "vieni" to "come to you" ag-educatorecinofilo.it".
    – Marco
    Sep 9, 2021 at 7:03

2 Answers 2


Best word is "lascia" from verb "lasciare", as you can see from lots of websites (for instance, http://it.m.wikihow.com/Insegnare-il-%22Lascia%22-al-tuo-Cane, https://www.cani.it/magazine/comando-lascia/n271.html, http://www.zampefelici.it/insegnare-al-cane-lasciare/).

  • 2
    Welcome to Italian.SE!
    – Charo
    Jun 19, 2016 at 16:33
  • 1
    Exactly! How could I forget! Lasciatemi cantare. Thank you!
    – Nina
    Jun 20, 2016 at 10:19

Remember your dog does not speak Italian or English for that matter; the meaning of the word you use is more important to you than your dog. Just be consistent with the word and visual cue you use for the action you want the dog to take. I would consider give me, (Mi dia) with the emphasis on “dia” and point with my off hand, left if right handed, to the ground in front of my feet.

  • 5
    Wholeo, mi dia, really? I'd say you might be on first-name terms with your dog and dare tell them dammi.
    – DaG
    Jun 23, 2016 at 18:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.