This sentence is in my coursebook: "Permette agli italiani di vivere una o due settimane a contatto con la natura e di riscoprire piaceri perduti della vita in campagna."
Is it the same as in contatto, because I can't find it in the dictionary? Is there a difference?

In this context no, I don't think there is any real difference. I find that I feel more comfortable using a contatto when referring to a physical contact (stiamo a contatto = we are touching) and in contatto when referring to a metaphorical one (stiamo in contatto = we hear from one another).

So a contatto con la natura conveys to me an idea of greater intimacy with Nature. But I have no official source for this, except my Tuscan origins :-)

You would use a if the "contact" is the means through which something works - e.g. lenti a contatto, azione a contatto, interruttore a contatto.

BTW -- I think it's a typo, but just in case, country is campagna, not campagma.

I think that 'a' is used with objects and 'in' with people. Easy.
    – Nicholas
    Jun 20 '16 at 12:47
    However, Treccani dictionary gives these two examples of use of "contatto" meaning "relazione, rapporto" (that is, a relationship without physical contact): 1) gli impiegati che sono a contatto col pubblico; 2) mettersi in contatto telefonico con qualcuno.
    – Charo
    Jun 20 '16 at 12:53
    @Nicholas: I'm not sure that's true because both the examples I reported from Treccani refer to people.
    – Charo
    Jun 20 '16 at 12:55
  • @Charo I didn't know what Treccani reports (perhaps is more correct than my opinion). Unfortunately, as native speaker sometimes I don't think about what I'm saying :D
    – Nicholas
    Jul 7 '16 at 17:54

in contatto is used to describe relations between two or more human beings. a contatto is used to describe the relation with inanimate objects.

Edit: in contatto is used in friendly context, or in a direct relation between two people. It is often used in colloquial dialogues and involves direct talking. Ex: teniamoci in contatto, rimaniamo in contatto A contatto is referred to objects or to indefinite groups of people. It is often used to describe in a non direct way, the role of a relation between people. Then, using this expression, the relation is always indefinite and doesn't specify that talking is involved. Ex: "A contatto con il pubblico", "a contatto con il cliente"

• Welcome to Italian.SE, @Alberto! I'm not sure that's true because both the examples I reported from Treccani dictionary in my comment refer to people.
    – Charo
    Jun 21 '16 at 7:48
  • Alberto, your examples look good, but for the general rule a source (grammar book, dictionary) would be appreciated.
    – DaG
    Jun 21 '16 at 11:09
  • I just wanted to explain how in the current Italian language is used, I studied grammar since I was a child, but obviously I'm not a book, I was hoping to be helpful! :) Jun 21 '16 at 11:12
  • Many of us are Italians and – to the best of my knowledge – none of us is a book, but an answer is better if it is supported by some source rather than just by one's “ear”.
    – DaG
    Jun 21 '16 at 12:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.