I'm wondering what the meaning/function of 'per' is in the above sentence.

What would the difference be between:

Per mangio, ma non ingrasso
Vs.
Mangio, ma non ingrasso

The sentence "Mangio, ma non ingrasso" means "I eat, but I don't put on weight". It doesn't make sense adding a preposition at the beginning of this sentence. That is, the sentence "Per mangio, ma non ingrasso" means nothing, it would be something like "For I eat, but I don't put on weight". – Charo Jun 22 '16 at 6:31

Per mangio, ma non ingrasso is not an Italian sentence.

Mangio, ma non ingrasso is correct, and means “I eat [and it is probably implied that I eat whenever and whatever I want], but I don't grow fat”.

Perhaps you had in mind something like Per mangiare mangio, ma non ingrasso, which would simply mean “As to eating, I do eat, but I don't grow fat”.

| improve this answer | |
  • As said by @DaG, the sentence "Per mangiare, mangio, ma non ingrasso" do make completely sense in Italian. Saying "Per mangiare, mangio" instead of simply "Mangio" you are putting more emphasis on the fact that you are eating. – Charo Jun 22 '16 at 6:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.