In English, it is perfectly fine to use expressions like "vocabulary trainer" or "grammar trainer" to denominate a certain type of software that offers interactive exercises (often in the form of drill and practice).

The publishing house PONS apparently uses the expression "trainer lessicale" to translate "vocabulary trainer": https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/pons-trainer-lessicale/id452121028?l=it

Interestingly, Google searches for the word "trainer" return very few results that concern the context of e-learning.

• Does the use of the word “trainer” appear strange in this context?

• Why do you think PONS chose "trainer lessicale" over "trainer di vocaboli"?

• Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Aug 16 '16 at 15:51
    «Does the use of the word “trainer” appear strange in this context?» - Do you mean in Italian? Yes, very much so, because it is not an Italian word, and most people – me included – wouldn't understand it. – DaG Aug 16 '16 at 16:19
  • @DaG: How would you translate "vocabulary trainer" into Italian? – lavolvol Aug 16 '16 at 17:10
  • Since the notion is new, it would be necessary to create a new phrase: “allenatore lessicale” seems the most obvious one, but I am sure someone else can do better. – DaG Aug 16 '16 at 18:00
  • @DaG: Thank you. And how would you translate "grammar trainer" or "conjugation trainer" into Italian? – lavolvol Aug 16 '16 at 19:29

The most literal (valid) translation, as pointed out by egreg, would probably be Esercitatore lessicale .

But it does sound "clunky".

A more natural (and less literal) translation that I would use is possibly Eserciziario di lessico or eserciziario lessicale.]

For the other two you mentioned, you could use the same schema and go with eserciziario di grammatica and eserciziario di (sulle?) coniugazioni , though the latter is also a bit odd-sounding. Probably sounds better with sulle instead of di in this case.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.