Is an Italian married woman addressed as "Lady". such as, Lady Judy, or Lady Natalie....

I have tried google, and every search engine.

Do people in England actually address married women with Lady? They certainly don't in the US... As far as I know there's nothing of the sort in Italian (there was the old signora/signorina but it hasn't been in use for quite a while now)
    – Denis Nardin
    Aug 30 '16 at 19:49
    Lady is not an Italian word, and while it can be used to address a married woman in English, it doesn't necessarily have that connotation.
    – Tom Au
    Aug 30 '16 at 21:50
  • Isn't a married woman addressed with Ms., in English?
    – apaderno
    Aug 31 '16 at 19:28
  • No, she's not, a married woman is traditionally addressed as Mrs (Mistress). Sep 10 '16 at 10:57
  • A married woman is addressed to as signora. Would you please try and improve your question? The reference to Lady makes little sense, because that title is not used for a married woman in English, unless she's married to a peer or is a peer herself.
    – egreg
    Sep 12 '16 at 15:09

An italian married woman is usually addressed as "signora" followed by her surname/family name or the surname/family name of her husband.

• Is using the family name of the husband current usage? If you tried that with my mother, you wouldn't end up well (either now or in the 80s when people at the office tried to make her sign as such). Also, using signora is not specific to married women as far as I can tell.
    – Denis Nardin
    Aug 30 '16 at 19:56
    In Italy it is still in current use and socially accepted. It is also preferred in case you don't know precisely her surname.
    – DavideN
    Aug 30 '16 at 20:01
    Usually you address an unmarried woman with "signorina" instead of "signora", and usually an unmarried woman prefer to be called "signorina".
    – DavideN
    Aug 30 '16 at 20:02
  • As I said, I've never heard it used in my life and I would consider it misogynist and archaic (both using the husband's last name and using signorina for an unmarried woman), but it's my experience against yours.
    – Denis Nardin
    Aug 30 '16 at 20:11
  • As said in Treccani vocabulary ( www.treccani.it/vocabolario/signora www.treccani.it/vocabolario/signorina ) they are obviously better used in a non-familiar contest (as mush as "lady"), because otherwise it's used the only (first) name
    – DavideN
    Aug 30 '16 at 20:18

Lady in the UK is a title given to women as members of the British nobility or as part of the British honours system. Outside of that context it would never be used in daily life to address someone. In Italian, Signora or Signorina is the polite, normal way to address someone you don't know or with whom you have a formal relationship.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.