I would like to know how to differentiate 'to remember' and 'to remind' in Italian. From a basic search, it seems as though 'ricordare' is used for both cases.

There are three cases I can think of...

1) Someone remembering something.

Ex1: I remember you from the party.

2) Someone reminding someone else about something.

Ex2: I reminded him about the project deadline.

3) Someone stating that another person "reminds" them of someone else or is similar.

Ex3: You remind me of my wife Maria, you look just like her.

Grazie!

Unfortunately there is almost never a 1:1 correspondence between words in different languages. Both remember and remind are usually translated with ricordare, and the meaning is inferred from context.

Your second and third meanings could also be translated as rammentare, although it is a considerably less common word.

Also your third meaning could sometimes be rendered with riportare alla mente, but this is used mostly with situations or events ("this reminds me that time I went lion hunting...").

Moreover, rammentare has the first meaning too...
    – DaG
    Sep 8 '16 at 7:06
    "rammentare" is not used a lot
    – user84976
    Sep 9 '16 at 12:09
    @user84976 Not in spoken Italian, no. And I did not even mention rimembrare... It is a pity that the richness of our language is so underutilized.
    – Denis Nardin
    Sep 9 '16 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.