I used Google translate to get the following sentences. Notice the il, la, or dello are placed in front of the country names. Sometimes nothing is added to the country name. Is there a rule that I can follow if I do my own translation instead of using Google?

Distanza tra il Giappone e il Tagikistan
Distanza tra il Giappone e la Tailandia
Distanza tra il Giappone e Guatemala
Distanza tra il Giappone e dello Swaziland

Distanza tra il Tagikistan e il Giappone
Distanza tra la Thailandia e il Giappone
Distanza tra il Guatemala e il Giappone
Distanza tra Swaziland e il Giappone

Are the above translations correct? If I omit il, la etc. completely, will it be acceptable (maybe not ideal)?

Distanza tra Giappone e Tagikistan
Distanza tra Giappone e Tailandia
Distanza tra Giappone e Guatemala
Distanza tra Giappone e Swaziland

Distanza tra Tagikistan e Giappone
Distanza tra Thailandia e Giappone
Distanza tra Guatemala e Giappone
Distanza tra Swaziland e Giappone
    Some country names always refuse the article (Cipro, Andorra and some others, but Guatemala is not among them). In the cases you mention, the article is either necessary everywhere, or you can omit it completely: la distanza tra Giappone e Tagikistan è maggiore della distanza tra Lussemburgo e Andorra. – egreg Sep 22 '16 at 8:32

Here you can find the rules you are looking for: http://dizionari.corriere.it/dizionario-si-dice/I/il-lo.shtml (sorry, the link is in Italian).

Below the correct form:

Distanza tra il Giappone e il Tagikistan
Distanza tra il Giappone e la Tailandia
Distanza tra il Giappone e **il** Guatemala
Distanza tra il Giappone e **lo** Swaziland

Distanza tra il Tagikistan e il Giappone
Distanza tra la Thailandia e il Giappone
Distanza tra il Guatemala e il Giappone
Distanza tra **lo** Swaziland e il Giappone
| improve this answer | |
    Correct answer, but it seems that the OP needs something ever more basic, perhaps covering the fact that Italian nouns have two possible genders and the article has to agree with the noun. – DaG Sep 22 '16 at 10:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.