I am a beginner Italian learner.

I have learned "sette" (seven) and "settimana" (week) but the only word I have learned for day (so far) is "giorno". Does "mana" in "settimana" have something to do with a word for day in italian or does it mean something different or is it just a coincidence that there is a setti in settimana?

Just to clarify something already contained in the answers, -mana in itself doesn't actually “mean” something. It is just (the feminine form of) a suffix or, better, a kind of double suffix: septem (seven) > septimus (seventh) > septimanus (involving the seventh of something, especially days and legions). – DaG Jan 17 '17 at 16:15

You are looking for the etymology of settimana, from Latin "septimus" used to indicate the space of seven days:

• From Late Latin septimāna ‎(“week”), from the Latin septimānus ‎(“related to the seventh element of a series”, adjective), derived from septimus ‎(“seventh”).

(Wiktionary)

So "mana" is the suffix coming from -mus - manus and later -māna

| improve this answer | |
    Actually if I understand correctly the suffix is -anus not -manus (like in Octavianus derived from Octavius) – Denis Nardin Jan 21 '17 at 22:56

It's not a coincidence, but mana means nothing in Italian. It comes from the Latin word septimanus, that means sevenfold.

I would tend to agree with Lorenzo, that indeed, the 'mana' in settimana does indeed somehow refer back to 'morning'. For in Spanish, the word for week is very similar to that in Italian..... in Spanish, the word for week is 'semana'. In Spanish, 'siete' is the number 7 and 'manyana' (the first 'n' actually having a tildon or ~ over the 'n'...) ....in Spanish 'manyana' means both 'tomorrow' or 'morning' depending on the context. So in Spanish 'se-' = 7 more or less and '-mana' = morning more or less.

Welcome to Italian.SE! Unfortunately, as you can see in other answers, the word settimana has a very clear etymology and the word for "morning" (or "tomorrow") does not enter into it. – Denis Nardin Feb 5 '19 at 6:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.