I was reading a sentence as:

...La polizia sospetta si tratti un gruppo di persone...

How could this sentence be rephrased? Is si tratti a formal phrase? If I am right, is there a spoken way for it?

The reason I think so is I usually read this kind of verb but haven't heard it in dialogues.

• FabioSpaghetti, I took the liberty of partially rewriting your question to make it more readable. In particular, note that you say un gruppo di persone, not un gruppo delle persone.
    – DaG
    Jan 22, 2017 at 17:40
  • that's the conjunctive tense of the verb "trattare" with an impersonal use. I think that the phrase is not completely correct. The correct form should be: "La polizia sospetta (che) si tratti di un gruppo di persone..." The verb "Trattare" is used here with the meaning of "to be a question (of)"; "to be a matter (of)"; to have to do (with) see treccani.it/vocabolario/trattare point 4. Jan 22, 2017 at 17:44
  • Ok thank you Riccardo, so how would you rephrase it? Jan 22, 2017 at 17:46
  • I mean using another verb instead of trattare Jan 22, 2017 at 17:46
  • The full sentence could help to find a good alternative; but you could as well use the verb "to be": "La polizia sospetta che (ci) sia un gruppo di persone..." If you prefer, you could use the expression "to have to do (with)": "La polizia sospetta di avere a che fare con un gruppo di persone..." Jan 22, 2017 at 17:51

2 Answers 2

That phrase uses in an impersonal way the subjunctive mood of the verb "trattare"; but I think that the phrase is not completely correct. The correct phrase should be:

La polizia sospetta (che) si tratti di un gruppo di persone...

(The conjunction "che" can be omitted).

The verb "trattare" is used here with the meaning of "to be a question (of)"; "to be a matter (of)"; "to have to do (with)" see treccani.it/vocabolario/trattare point 4

The full sentence could help to find a good alternative, but you could as well use the verb essere ("to be"):

La polizia sospetta che (ci) sia un gruppo di persone...

If you prefer, you could use the expression to "to have to do (with)":

La polizia sospetta di avere a che fare con un gruppo di persone...

I would not recommend this expression, especially for writing, because it is a bit too verbose. I think that even the usage of "trattare" would be discouraged for example on a newspaper article.

...La polizia sospetta che un gruppo di persone sia coinvolto...

...La polizia sospetta che un gruppo di persone sia responsabile...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.