I would like to understand which is the correct word order in the sentence: anima bellissima or bellissima anima.

In Italian there is not a preferred order: both choices are acceptable, although they convey subtly different meanings depending on the context. In order for us to help you we need more details about what you want to say. And by the way it is bellissima not bellisima. – Denis Nardin Feb 26 '17 at 22:58
    @DenisNardin I think your comment should be evolved into a proper answer. – user525 Feb 28 '17 at 12:01
    @LuciaBentivoglio I would like to give more time for the OP to improve his/her question, so that we can give a more nuanced answer. In absence of further edits, I'll write something tomorrow evening. – Denis Nardin Feb 28 '17 at 16:40
  • @DenisNardin: Anche io sono dell'avviso che dovresti convertire in risposta il tuo commento, poi se CaseyB amplia la domanda, puoi sempre ampliare la risposta. – Joe Taras Mar 1 '17 at 9:31
    Possible duplicate of: italian.stackexchange.com/questions/1248/… – I.M. Mar 2 '17 at 13:14

In Italian there is not a preferred order: both choices are acceptable, although they convey subtly different meanings depending on the context. A famous example is the commercial of the "Cinghiale" brushes, where the pennello grande is a big brush, while a grande pennello is a great brush (as in, a very good one).

I would say that the most neuter choice is anima bellissima, but we would really need the context of the sentence to be more sure.

| improve this answer | |

There is not a correct order: it depends upon the framework. Using 'Bellissima anima' makes you feel more archaic and poetic to your intercolutor, though. Using the name + adjective order is a bit childish.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.