When we want to say "in the style of" in Italian, why do we use the feminine form? I mean, in such expressions as "vitello alla parmigianA" or the film "Divorzio all'ItalianA"? Style, in Italian, lo stile, is masculine. Maybe we could say the translation really is in the fashion (moda) of?

• Interesting, but what's the question? – user519 Apr 3 '17 at 18:46
    @Gio: I think that the question is: why do we use the feminine form in such expressions? – Charo Apr 3 '17 at 18:49
    I think it's because it stands for "alla maniera". For instance, "alla parmigiana" = "alla maniera parmigiana", "all'italiana" = "alla maniera italiana". – Charo Apr 3 '17 at 18:59
  • For instance: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aria_variata_alla_maniera_italiana – DaG Apr 3 '17 at 20:58
    Just to clarify: moda is almost never used in this sense. Its main use is more or less “fashion”, but only in the sense of “popular style of clothing, behaviour etc.”; a secondary meaning is the statistical one, as “mode” in the sense of “the value that occurs most frequently in a given set of data”. The use of moda in the sense of “manner of doing something” is now obsolete by some century. – DaG Apr 4 '17 at 12:22

We use the feminine form of adjectives in such expressions because they stand for "alla maniera". In your examples,

• "alla parmigiana" = "alla maniera parmigiana",
  • "all'italiana" = "alla maniera italiana".

In this Wikipedia article you can find an example of use of the expression "alla maniera italiana".

| improve this answer | |
  • "Maniera" is not "style"!!! – mle Apr 7 '17 at 2:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.