I've just come back from a visit to Romagna. It was my second time in Italy and the first time was a very long time ago.

I noticed that Italian toothpicks all seem to have Japanese brand names: Samurai, Kimono, Karate.

Does this indicate a cultural perspective on toothpicks, or is it (as I suspect) just unthinking me-too imitation of a leading brand?

According to this page lindaliguori.it/samurai-lo-stuzzicadenti the name "Samurai" was chosen in 1965 by the manifacturers after their meeting with a japanese exporter of timber. I am not sure, but I think that the other names just tried to follow its wave of success. – Riccardo De Contardi Jul 20 '17 at 20:45
  • @RiccardoDeContardi Thank you. Post that as an answer and I will accept it. – BoarGules Jul 20 '17 at 20:51

According to this page: http://www.lindaliguori.it/samurai-lo-stuzzicadenti/ the name "Samurai" was chosen in 1965 by the manifacturers after their meeting with a japanese exporter of timber. I am not sure, but I think that the other names just tried to follow its wave of success, so your guess about the "imitation of a leading brand" seems IMO correct.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.