Qual è la differenza tra "lessico" e "dizionario"? Devo dire "Come espandere il proprio lessico" o "Come espandere il proprio dizionario"?

• Hai consultato un dizionario (o un lessico...)? Se sì, quali dubbi ti restano? Se no, pensi che qualcun altro debba farlo per te? – DaG Aug 18 '17 at 19:44
  • I did, but I am still not sure if both words are synonyms. It might be that dizionario referes strictly to a book or to something tangible while lessico refers to intangible. Referring to english dizionario means dictionary while lessico vocabulary - that what I would expect at least. – freefall Aug 18 '17 at 20:04
    If your Italian is sufficient, I strongly suggest to have a look at monolingual dictionaries to find an answer to doubts like this: the better ones have precise definitions, examples, etymologies etc. You can see some suggestions in our Meta. – DaG Aug 18 '17 at 20:27
  • I took a look at some recommended dictionaries, but I am still confused to be honest. My elaborated guess would that I should use lessico instead of dizionario in this context. – freefall Aug 19 '17 at 7:43
  • You are right. Have also a look at these Wikipedia articles: dizionario and lessico. – Charo Aug 19 '17 at 9:02

So, after some research I can say (certainly) that in this context I should use "lessico" instead of dictionary. Lessico in this context means vocabulary. Also I can say (reluctantly) that "dizionario" should be used when mentiong physical objects.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.