Sfizi on Wiktionary https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/sfizi:

plural of sfizio

Sfizio is defined as

whimsy, fancy

that doesn’t really explain what it would be as a menu category though.

Any ideas?

Uno sfizio è un capriccio, una voglia spesso improvvisa. In un menu viene a volte usato in riferimento ai dolci, i dessert.
    – user519
    Sep 28 '17 at 18:59
    @Gio uhhh, English?
    – Mou某
    Sep 28 '17 at 20:04

Sfizi is indeed the plural of the noun sfizio, which means “whim, fancy”, or something unusual you desire. In some menus they use it to denote some – in their opinion – especially tasty or sophisticated plates, mainly hors d'oeuvre or desserts. But the use itself is somewhat whimsical: you won't find it in an old-fashioned restaurant.

• Yeah more like appetizers where I saw it
    – Mou某
    Sep 28 '17 at 22:00
  • Whimsy is (also?) a noun in English
    – zale
    Dec 14 '19 at 6:05
  • Thanks, @zale. Fixed.
    – DaG
    Dec 14 '19 at 13:22

I agree with the other answers/comments that it means treats, but unlike them I have seen it used almost exclusively as a section of the menu (usually of a cheap eatery such as a pizzeria or a pub) containing deep fried side dishes such as fries, cheese balls and olive ascolane --- never for desserts or fancy starters. See for instance here or here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.