I just looked on the wiktionary for a translation of reinvent the wheel and was given scoprire l'acqua calda. I do not agree. AFAIK, reinvent the wheel means to redo work that others have already done (cfr. also the wiktionary's definition of said idiom), whereas scoprire l'acqua calda (typically found in the nominal form "scoperta dell'acqua calda") means to discover something obvious, perhaps with lots of thought and/or effort. Do you agree that the Wiktionary is wrong about this or do you think something above is wrong, or that there is more to the issue than what I wrote?

Extra

There is at least one situation I can think of where I would use the English idiom but not the Italian one, and it is the situation I first saw the English idiom used in. If someone tries to recode something that has already been coded and made available by others via a class, library, or macro package (and that is the case I found it in on TeX SE), that is definitely reinventing the wheel, but (IMHO) definitely NOT scoperta dell'acqua calda.

Reinvent the wheel is quite close in meaning and usage. idioms.thefreedictionary.com/reinvent+the+wheel – user519 Oct 5 '17 at 7:42
    Reinventing the wheel is different from discovering warm water; the latter seems more like finding out something that even exists in nature, whereas the wheel is a tool that required ingenuity to be invented. Could you please add the links to the Wiktionary entries? – egreg Oct 5 '17 at 8:38
    @Gio Maybe it's just me only ever having seen the English idiom referred to recoding something already coded and made available by others via e.g. a macro package. If someone does that, he's definitely reinventig the wheel, but that wouldn't be scoperta dell'acqua calda, would it? – MickG Oct 5 '17 at 8:39
    @Gio Actually, none of those Italian sentences sounds right to me. The English ones do, almost all of them. – MickG Oct 5 '17 at 9:18
    In Catalan we say "descobrir la sopa d'all", that is, "discover garlic soup" with that meaning. – Charo Oct 5 '17 at 12:19

The two idioms are indeed different in meaning, as you observed. So much that in Italian you now say reinventare la ruota (albeit it is a recent acquisition, mostly used in technical/software contexts by people likely to be familiar with English).

Scoprire l'acqua calda, which I usually hear in the form la scoperta dell'acqua calda (the discovery of warm water), has always meant to discover something that some, or even most, already were familiar with. It is used as a dismissal. For example recently a scandal about nepotism in universities has been hailed as 'the discovery of warm water'; to call it "reinventing the wheel" would have implied that it was something positive or useful.

Often, "reinventing the wheel" has the meaning of producing a knock-off version of something; to reinforce this meaning you might say that somebody has invented the square wheel, ha inventato la ruota quadrata.

| improve this answer | |
    Mai sentito usare “reinventare la ruota” in italiano, e come dice l’articolo di Wikipedia è la traduzione letterale dell’espressione inglese che sembra essere usata nel gergo di chi si occupa di software (anche questo uso di derivazione anglosassone). Quindi farei una chiara distinzione tra un uso così specifico rispetto all’uso colloquiale. – user519 Oct 6 '17 at 8:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.