The term Senese Italian refers to the Italian language as spoken in and close to Siena, Tuscany. When a word ends in consonant, Senese Italian speakers tend to geminate said consonant and to follow it with a schwa. Thus we have for eng. bar sen.it. bar, for eng. hotel sen.it. hotel, for eng. pub sen.it. pab etc.

I'm aware of the fact that the addition of [ə] is a case of paragoge, but how would one describe the gemination? Is there an order in the application of the two rules?

I don't know the answer, and personally I think that this question is somewhat off-topic in this website, which is basically about standard Italian. But I can add that something very similar happens in the Roman variety of Italian: er busse (the bus), er gasse (the gas) etc. – DaG Oct 5 '17 at 12:33
    @DaG Probably we should discuss it in meta, but I think that regional Italian (as opposed to Italian dialects) should be fully on topic. – Denis Nardin Oct 5 '17 at 16:34
    Not sure this is on topic either. Local dialects have little to do with standard Italian apart from a few exceptions. In many cases they are completely different languages. – Gio Oct 5 '17 at 17:24
    @Gio: We are not talking about local dialects, but about regional Italian. I had to study something about this last year when I was doing my C1 Italian course. – Charo Oct 5 '17 at 17:38
    Regional varieties of Italian are fascinating (and generally quite easily understandable, for what's worth). But the fact is that they involve a wholly different corpus of knowledge and reference works (if any) with respect to standard Italian. For instance, texts about standard Italian are generally available and it is studied and discussed all over the world, while its single regional varieties are often the topic of locally-published books and papers, sometimes verging on the amateurish. – DaG Oct 5 '17 at 20:00

I'm not from the region, but I think the gemination in these examples is natural for the speakers due to the standard rules of the raddoppiamento fonosintattico. The tonic accent is always in the last syllable in your (and DaG's) examples, so the last letter (with its schwa) is somehow treated as an unstressed particle (like in dallo, fanne etc). Would you observe the same phenomenon in words like compùter or bàncomat?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.