I was taught that all Italian words ending in -si are femminile. But dictionaries show that 'brindisi' is maschile. Is it exception or the rule about '-si words' is wrong?

At least the reflexive form of infinitive is another exception. You say "A volte è brutto guardarsi allo specchio". – CasaMich Oct 11 '17 at 6:22
    Names like analisi, sintesi, cosmesi are of Greek origin and feminine; actually I can't recall any other name ending in -si that's masculine apart from brindisi. I don't think that learning names' gender by “rules and exceptions” is a good strategy, but it's personal opinion. – egreg Oct 11 '17 at 6:56
    And welcome to Italian.SE! – egreg Oct 11 '17 at 6:59
  • @egreg Grazie! I'm learning Italian only a month, so rules make it easier to remember for me. – notChosen Oct 11 '17 at 8:38

While I agree with egreg that one should get a sense of words' gender by using them rather than with “rules and exceptions” (as an Italian I never heard explicitly that rule), by doing an advanced search on Zingarelli 2018 Italian dictionary for masculine nouns in “-si”, I find that there are only:

• brindisi;
  • cremisi (crimson colour);
  • passi (a pass);
  • the musical note si;
  • some local, rare words such as sussi and biribissi;
  • some words of foreign origin such as farsi (the Persian language), lassi (an Indian drink made of yogurt), parsi and tutsi (each, a person of the respective ethnic group);
  • several compound words such as contapassi, schiacciasassi, saltafossi and so on, where the -si ending comes actually from a masculine plural (passi, sassi etc.);
  • some reflexive verbs in the infinitive form, used as nouns (as remarked in a comment), such as manifestarsi and volgersi.

All in all, less than 60 items are returned, including “false positives” (such as the plural name Rapidoglossi – a group of molluscs – or nouns with an accent, such as and tassì). For reference, a search for feminine nouns in “-si” returns (false positives and all) 1081 terms, from abiogenesi to zooprofilassi.

So, in a large majority of cases, I'd say that the rule you have been taught can be considered correct.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.