Is this "imperativo" or "riflessivo"? I am confused as it has the reflexive pronoun.

I had a look on books and net but cannot find a definite answer.

Ciao e grazie!

• What mood is “don’t get angry”? – user519 Nov 12 '17 at 8:19
    I don't think "riflessivo" is really a mood. You can have a reflexive verb conjugated in different moods. – Charo Nov 12 '17 at 8:21
    To be precise, arrabbiarsi is not a verbo riflessivo. It is something called verbo intransitivo pronominale (see here), the difference being that while actual reflexive verbs denote actions that you happen to do to yourself (for instance, lavarsi as opposed to lavare un'altra persona) the intransitivi pronominali describe actions/states of mind, as arrabbiarsi, innamorarsi..., that aren't actually reflexive: you don't actually “arrabbiare” yourself (nor you can “arrabbiare” someone else). – DaG Nov 12 '17 at 13:17
    As others have said riflessivo is not a mood, but rather a voice (the Italian version of the Indoeuropean mediopassive voice) – Denis Nardin Nov 12 '17 at 13:23

The verb is “arrabbiarsi”, in reflexive form. The mood is imperative. When the imperative (second person singular) is used in a negative sentence, the infinitive must replace the normal inflected form: non fare agli altri… versus fa’ agli altri….

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.