Woman: Perché dovrei fidarmi di te?

Man: Perché di me si fida la duchessa, perché anch’io sono diverso, perché queste faccende sono il mio pane quotidiano...

I'm trying to understand the correct word order in a "perché/because" subordinate clause. It seems that a preposition like "di" or an adverb like "anch’io" comes first.

And then I wonder why in the first clause, the subject "la duchessa" comes last, whereas the subject in the third clause "queste faccende" comes first?

• Where do these sentences come from? – DaG Jan 2 '18 at 23:21
    Note that “anch'io” is the subject: “io” is a pronoun and “anche” is an adverb modifying it. – egreg Jan 3 '18 at 10:12

After perché any kind of clause, with any ordering, can occur, as if they were main clauses. The three sentences in your example are all acceptable as main clause.

Queste faccende sono il mio pane quotidiano is a normally-ordered sentence (a subject with a nominal predicate).

Di me si fida la duchessa has a slightly unusual ordering instead; the standard form would be La duchessa si fida di me (The duchess trusts me). The sentence as given seems to stress that the duchess trusts especially the speaker (so the person he is speaking to should too). And this sentence works the same exact way both as a main clause and as a subordinate clause after perché, while on the other hand “Perché la duchessa si fida di me” would be a perfectly good answer, with a different stress.

So, in principle, any sentence, either standard or with an unusual construction to stress something can also be a perché-sentence, and even a composite period (“Perché dovrei fidarmi di te?” “Perché se non ti fidi, mi rivolgo a qualcun altro”).

| improve this answer | |
  • In the 2nd clause, is it possible to say "perché sono diverso anch’io" or "perché sono anch’io diverso"? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jan 2 '18 at 23:31
  • Yes, they would be perfectly fine. – DaG Jan 2 '18 at 23:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.