If there's something you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask me.

To express the idea of "don't hesitate to ask me", I wonder which preposition to use here, even though "di" seems more common with the verb "vergognare".

..., non vergognarti a chiedere.

..., non vergognarti di chiedere.

At Treccani dictionary there is this example: mi vergognavo di chiederglielo. – Charo Jan 8 '18 at 20:32
    Actually to hesitate means esitare, not vergognarsi... – alexjo Jan 8 '18 at 21:53
  • Vergognarsi can be contructed with di or with a: in your case both are correct (see Treccani at point 2.) – alexjo Jan 8 '18 at 22:14
  • Rather then vergognarsi (which could stand, though) a better translation could be esitare or aver timore. The former requires a, the latter takes both a or di. – egreg Jan 8 '18 at 22:34

The more common preposition is di according to Google Ngram data and (if it counts) to my ear.

I have to agree that using the verb vergognarsi in this case does sound odd, and I would prefer esitare, or maybe (more informal) non farti problemi a chiedere.

• Actually it depends on the meaning! See treccani. Google Ngram doesn't take into account the context... – alexjo Jan 9 '18 at 10:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.