I'd like to know the regularly used Italian translations for the words but and however, or the German aber and jedoch.

Here's what https://dict.leo.org/italienisch-deutsch is saying:

enter image description here

enter image description here

These are about 16 translations in total, and there are only three translations matching between aber and jedoch (eppure, sennonché and comunque).

• Which translations are frequently used, and which ones are rare?
  • Are there semantic differences between some of them?
  • Why are some of them classified as adjectives or adverbs? What would be a correct use of invece as an adjective or adverb?
    Welcome to Italian.SE!
    – Charo
    Jan 25, 2018 at 12:40
    The only word of all these which can be an adjective is "stesso", but then it wouldn't mean "however". I immagine that refers to the adverbial use of the expression "lo stesso" that maybe in some contexts can be translated as "however".
    – Charo
    Jan 25, 2018 at 14:38
    I know I am becoming an old grouch, but monolingual dictionaries and thesauri have been invented (centuries ago) precisely to answer this kind of questions. Asking them rather than consulting a reference book is like going on a SE site to ask how many inhabitants has Sweden rather than looking it up. If after looking it up one still has some doubts, that's the sense of this site, not sifting through 16 random words grabbed from the net.
    – DaG
    Jan 25, 2018 at 14:51
    Even if, in my opinion, this is an interesting question, I think it would be quite hard to provide an answer. Not only because it would imply explaining 16 Italian words, but also because it involves translation without an specific context, which is something really difficult. In addition, I think it also involves translating to English or to German (and I'm afraid we are no experts about this in this site).
    – Charo
    Jan 25, 2018 at 15:42
    To answer your first question, De Mauro dictionary is really useful. If you search "invece" or "poi", for instance, you will see that these words are marked as "FO", which stands for "fondamentale". This means that these words are very frequently used. But if you search "peraltro", in this case you will find the mark "AU". The occurrences of words with this mark constitute a 6% approximately of the occurrences of words in all written or spoken texts
    – Charo
    Jan 25, 2018 at 17:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.