What is the right punctuation for this dialog (direct speech) in Italian?

"I am John," he said. "Who are you?"

"Io sono John", disse. "Tu chi sei?"

I know I'm supposed to delete the double quotes and use (em or en) dashes instead, but I'm not sure how many of them I need, and where to place them.

Actually, you are supposed to do whatever your publisher has fixed in its “norme editoriali” or “norme redazionali”, which may envision guillemets («»), inverted commas (“”), en- or em-dashes, or even something else. I have a collection of these norme, put together in years of working as a translator, and I'd say that no two of them are equal, also taking into account what to do with punctuation: «“Sono John”, disse» vs. «“Sono John” disse» and so on. See here for a similar (duplicate?) question. – DaG Feb 8 '18 at 13:43
    Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Feb 8 '18 at 15:31

The punctuation you wrote is right.

In general in Italian for direct speech the following rules apply:

Usually direct speech is introduced by declarative verbs followed by, in the order, colon, a space and a punctuation sign chosen among one of the following:

“...”       inverted commas (or quotation marks)
«...»     angled quotes (or guillemets)
–...–     dashes

Direct speech statements are enclosed between these diacritical signs.

For example:

Mi è dispiaciuto che tu non abbia detto: «Accetto volentieri la tua proposta»

– Vado e torno, – disse.

However in contemporary Italian, especially in some particular text types like newspapers articles and literary prose, these signs can be missing or replaced by others.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.