Many (all that I looked) English-Italian dictionaries give a transaltion for "a hat" as "capello". However, looking for this word the other way around never shows "hat" as one of the translations of the word "capello". Two Italian dictionaries I have looked in also don't mention any kind of head covering as a meaning of "capello" (one, two).

Does "capello" ever mean any kind of head covering at all? If yes, if this a special kind of hat?

Would you please mention at least a single En-It dictionary that gives capello as a translation for hat? Are you sure they don't say cappello? – DaG Mar 7 '18 at 9:28
  • Oh my, you're right! I didn't pay attention to it – Russo Turisto Mar 7 '18 at 9:30
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is not an actual question, but a mistake of the OP. – DaG Mar 7 '18 at 9:31
    Mistaking “consonanti doppie” is frequent in foreigners; on Math.SE we can see quite often “Riccati” (a mathematician active in the 18th century) misspelled as “Ricatti” (blackmail). – egreg Mar 7 '18 at 12:46
  • Technically speaking capello does mean a head covering, of some sort ;). – Denis Nardin Mar 7 '18 at 18:07

You are looking for cappello meaning hat.

Capello, note one single "p", means hair.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.