According to Tommaseo, one of the meanings of "pianeta" is:

1. [Val.] Per Augurio, Acquisto, Influsso. Pucc. Centil. 77. 40. Il Conte Ettore non diè nella rete, Perocchè alla Montagna sanza motti Per gente er'ito con miglior pianete.

The quote is from Antonio Pucci, the XIV century. I fail to comprehend this meaning. It seems similar to 'presentiment' to me. However, this is only true for the meaning "augurio", and both "influsso" and "acquisto" do not seem to match here.

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Mar 14 '18 at 10:49
  • Also keep in mind that in past times pianeta (or pianeto) also referred to the Sun and the Moon (Dante in Inf, I, 17, for instance use it for the Sun), and their alleged influences. – DaG Mar 14 '18 at 11:26
    As to the Tommaseo dictionary article, augurio, acquisto and influsso are not indeed synonyms of each other, but rather possible meanings of pianeta (and of course acquisto doesn't mean here “something that has been bought”, but a benefit, something good to be gained from some enterprise). – DaG Mar 14 '18 at 11:30

I think it refers to the following meaning by Treccani in which pianeta is used metaphorically to refer to the supposed influences that planets can have over human beings according to some astrological doctrines:

• 3 - Con riferimento alle dottrine astrologiche intorno all’influsso dei pianeti (per cui si parla spesso di p. benigno, favorevole, o avverso, maligno, e sono frequenti le espressioni nascere o essere nato sotto un buon p., un cattivo p., e sim.), sorte, destino: è il mio pianeta che tutti m’abbiano a dare addosso (Manzoni).
| improve this answer | |
  • In the quote of Manzoni pianeta would be intended with the meaning of destiny, fate – abarisone Mar 14 '18 at 10:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.