There was a trend in the past of spelling semi-consonantal initial i (/j/) with a j:

• jeri / ieri
  • jod / iod, yod
  • juta / iuta (loanword)
  • jota / iota
  • jato / iato
  • jella / iella
  • jena / iena
  • jodio / iodio
  • jonico / ionico
  • jattanza / iattanza
  • jettare, jettatura, jettatore / iettare, iettatura, iettatore

and similarly inter-vocal i:

• aja / aia
  • bujo / buio
  • guajo / guaio
  • notajo / notaio
  • Savoja / Savoia
  • alleluja / alleluia
  • fidejussione / fideiussione
  • pajo, paja / paio, paia
  • ajola, ajuola / aiola, aiuola
  • noja, annojare / noia, annoiare
  • scojolo, scojattolo / scoiattolo

and additionally replacing plural suffix -ii (of -io) (to distinguish homophones from plural -i (of -o)):

• varj / varij, varii, varî, vari
  • genj / genii, genî, geni
  • occhj / occhii, occhi
  • viaggj / viaggii, viaggi
  • studj
  • ufficj
  • principj
  • beccaj

but contemporarily, this orthography seems to have only been retained in a few proper nouns and latinisms:

• Jesi, Jonio, Jesolo, Ajaccio, Letojanni, l’Aja
  • Jacopo, Jonio, Jole, Jannacci, Jolanda (Iolanda), Jago (Iago, Yago)
  • Jacuzzi, Jovine, Jacobelli, Jacoviello, Jaja, Ojetti, Ajello, Scajola, Pistoj, Rejna
  • Juventus, juventino (iuventino), juniores

and transcription of regional languages' words:

• ajo (Romanesco, cognate with aglio)
  • naja (from Friulian naie, Old Venetian naia)

Apart from these proper nouns, are there any native Italian words still commonly spelled with a j?

Sources

The Tuscan Master; Or a New and Easy Method of Acquiring a Perfect Knowledge of the Italian Language in a Short Time, Divided into Two Parts..., Dr. Marcello Guelfi Borzacchini

http://www.treccani.it/vocabolario/j-j/

Nice question! I'm going to be the annoying one and ask what's your definition of native Italian words (if you go back enough most of them come from a different language anyways...). Would "used by an Italian writer before the year 1700" be ok? – Denis Nardin Mar 16 '18 at 17:44
  • Ah, yes haha - that seems fine for the purposes of my curiosity, but feel free to be as loose with the definition as you like. I mainly just wanted to avoid obvious global calques, like jazz, judo, jeans etc – ukemi Mar 16 '18 at 17:49
    I agree with Denis's perplexity: what is a native Italian word? If we take the before-1700 definition, a good starting point would be to perform a search for “j” in, say, the third edition (1691) of the Crusca (lessicografia.it/ricerca_libera.jsp). Unfortunately, it does not seem to allow for fine-tuned searches, so many of the results returned – hundreds of them – are plurals in “-j” (occhj, vizj, savj...), which already by themselves attest that it was considered a full part of Italian orthography. – DaG Mar 16 '18 at 22:49
    With no less patience, and loosening quite a bit our later endpoint, we may have a look at what Tommaseo thought about “J”. At least, it is easy to get the “J”-lemmas. – DaG Mar 16 '18 at 22:52
    Tommaseo can be searched slightly better in the (not free) Zingarelli application. For instance, the first results for the lemmas in which * j * appears are “abbajare” and its derivates, “abbeveratojo” and similar words (abbigliatojo, abbocatojo...), and more than 2000 more (just lemmas, not inflexed forms). – DaG Mar 16 '18 at 22:55

Apart from the vague suggestions I gave in the comments, perhaps the nearest to an actual answer is here. The digital version of Zingarelli dictionary allows some quite refined searches. It is mostly a vocabulary of contemporary use, not a historical one, so one of the requisites is satisfied by default.

By searching the the present (2018) edition for lemmas including a “j” (just lemmas, not inflexed forms) and asking for the century of first occurrence to be at most the 17th century, we get very little, and probably nothing that qualifies:

• bijou
  • dagli (because of Roman variant “daje”)
  • fideiussione (because of the variant form “fidejussione”; the same for “fideiussore”)
  • foglietta (a volume measure for wine and oil, because of Roman variant “fojetta”)
  • j (as a lemma in itself)
  • junior
  • navaja
  • ragià (because of variant form “rajah”)

For the sake of curiosity, adding the 18th century only yields “acajou”, “jacquerie” and “Tokaj”, while in the 19th century a first tide of foreign terms began, from “abat-jour” to “navajo” (with, in last alphabetical position a curious, Neapolitan “scetavajasse”).

So, much as I personally love the letter “j” and would use it everywhere, I guess the answer to your question is a firm no (give or take a wandering fidejussore).

| improve this answer | |
    For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the plural principij is still used somewhere, but I'd be lying if I said it's common used. I'm surprised by the lack of naja (but that might be because it is a word that entered Italian in the 20th century with the Great War) – Denis Nardin Mar 17 '18 at 7:08
    Indeed, @DenisNardin, Zingarelli gives 1918 as the year of the first attested use of naja. – DaG Mar 17 '18 at 10:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.