Volevo sapere come si dice "edge" in italiano, con l'interpretazione matematica corrispondente all'inglese "there is an edge connecting the two nodes, of the graph, whereas in the digraph the corresponding two nodes are connected by an arc". Come si tradurrebbe questa frase? Chiedo perché, nonostante comune, la definizione non è contenuta nel dizionario WordReference online: Edge.


  • 2
    You can find the technical vocabulary in the Wikipedia article linked above. So, as you can see, "edge" is translated as "spigolo". – Charo May 22 '18 at 14:51
  • 3
    @Charo I am far from expert in combinatorics, but arco is much more common in my experience – Denis Nardin May 22 '18 at 15:46
  • 4
    Even in English I would recommend against setting a distinction between arc and edge in a graph, because whether an arc is directed or not is widely inconsistent in the literature. I would rather use directed/undirected edge if it is important (clarity beats concision, every time) – Denis Nardin May 22 '18 at 16:33
  • 2
    Lo so che non è bello sciorinare il proprio CV, ma ho un dottorato in matematica (preso a Roma) e mi sono occupato di combinatoria e dintorni. Ho sempre detto e sentito dire sia “spigoli” che “archi”; per un grafo orientato, il termine corrispondente è appunto “spigolo orientato” o “arco orientato”. – DaG May 22 '18 at 17:21
  • 2
    Un'aggiunta personale: “spigolo” ha per me il pregio di avere un parallelo con la geometria classica, dove gli spigoli sono i segmenti che congiungono due vertici di un poliedro. – DaG May 22 '18 at 17:23

As you can see on the Italian Wikipedia page for graph, edges are usually called lati, archi or spigoli. In my experience the latter name is very rare outside of schoolbooks (and by this I literally mean books used in high school or below, not university textbooks), but it's been a lot of years since I had to speak about math in Italian.

To give a perhaps more authoritative reference, you can look at this lecture at around the timestamp 19:25 where the lecturer explicitly says that the Italian name for the edges is archi

  • 1
    I always use “lati” for the edges of a graph, but I acknowledge that “archi” is used as well. – egreg May 22 '18 at 20:33
  • 3
    In my case "archi" is actually a lot more common than the other terms. I've studied/used graphs in multiple courses at the university where I'm studying and I've always used only "archi" – mcont May 24 '18 at 17:31
  • So basically the alternatives are spigoli, archi, and lati. I like lati, it sounds softer than the other alternatives. Thanks. – Joselin Jocklingson Jun 10 '18 at 13:36
  • 1
    @JoselinJocklingson For what is worth I recommend archi which in my experience is the most used, followed by lati (I dislike spigoli, I never liked it even for polyhedra...) – Denis Nardin Jun 10 '18 at 13:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.