Se hai bisogno di qualcosa, mi fai un fischio.

This expression literally means "give me a whistle", but I wonder if its figurative meaning extends to "give me a holler / a shout" or "give me a call (on the phone)"?

I agree with @DaG: I would recommend trying to use some monoligual dictionaries before asking this kind of questions. If then you don't understand them or some doubts remain, write a question that includes your research and an explanation of what it's not clear to you (for instance, in this case, the fact if this expression can refer to a telephone call). – Charo Jun 3 '18 at 9:37
    @Alone-zee: I'm afraid I didn't express myself very well. I didn't mean that this kind of questions is inappropriate, I was only trying to refer to the way of writing good questions. Even if you are not fluent in Italian, I think it's a good idea to have a look to some monoligual dictionaries and, if this doesn't help because you don't understand them, mention that in the question. – Charo Jun 3 '18 at 9:58
    @Alone-zee: And, in this specific case, I believe the question would improve if you include in its body what you said in your comment: "I had a look at some websites and dictionaries, but none of them mention anything about a telephone call ...". In my opinion, in this way it would be clearer what you are asking. – Charo Jun 3 '18 at 10:06
    @Alone-zee: And let me ask you this: are you OK with the answers written in Italian? Or would you prefer answers in English? I believe that the kind of questions you are asking gives the impression you are fluent enough to understand answers in Italian, but maybe it's not the case. – Charo Jun 3 '18 at 10:13
    @Charo Grammar-wise, it does not pose much of a problem. But given my rather limited vocabulary at the moment, I need to consult a dictionary a lot to read through an answer written in Italian. So that would be "yes and no". At least for now, I feel more comfortable with answers in English. I've only been learning Italian for about 45 days in total, after all. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jun 4 '18 at 4:29

Sì, questa espressione viene usata comunemente per indicare genericamente e indifferentemente tutti i modi di contattare qualcuno (incluso via telefono).

Come dice il De Mauro, l'espressione puo essere intesa sia in senso letterale che figurativo. Direi che viene più comunemente usata in senso figurato.

Fare un fischio:

fischiare per richiamare l’attenzione di qcn. | con riferimento al valore simbolico del gesto, avvertire, avvisare: quando hai finito fai un fischio.

Yes, this expression is often used to indicate generically and indifferently all the ways of contacting someone (telephone included).

As described in the De Mauro dictionary, the expression can be understood both literally and figuratively. I'd say the figurative usage is more common.

Fare un fischio:

to whistle to attract the attention of someone. | with reference to the symbolic value of the act, warn, give notice: quando hai finito fai un fischio.

| improve this answer | |
    E, come ha chiesto l'OP, pensi che, se uno fosse al telefono e dicesse "se hai bisogno di qualcosa, fammi un fischio" intenderebbe una chiamata telefonica? – Charo Jun 3 '18 at 9:43
    @Charo - fare un fischio è un modo molto informale per dire “far sapere, avvertire”. Che poi uno lo faccia usando il telefono o qualsiasi altro mezzo di comunicazioni non fa differenza – user519 Jun 3 '18 at 12:18
  • Since the OP has explicitly said that he/she feels more comfortable with answers in English, may someone add (I think there is no need to delete this Italian version) a translation or a similar explanation in English? – Charo Jun 4 '18 at 8:34
  • Many thanks for the translation, @DenisNardin!! – Charo Jun 4 '18 at 8:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.