Having posted this question, I now wonder whether there are any dictionaries, online, good ones, which would provide multilingual translations of technical words used in mathematics, including English to Italian and others. Any online such dictionaries would be preferred. Thanks.

• @DaG I think it’s up to you to deal with this question;-) – abarisone Jun 10 '18 at 13:52
    Indeed, @abarisone, and doubly so, as a mathematician and as a translator! :) Unfortunately, I don't know of such a reliable, online dictionary. I happen to use (as everybody) Wikipedia, looking for a term in a language, and then seeing the links to the corresponding articles in other languages. But this is not a reliable procedure, since the links may be broken, the choice of the other-language term may be up to the personal taste of whomever edited the article and so on. One can start like this and then double- and triple-check what they found. – DaG Jun 10 '18 at 14:24
    Universitat de Barcelona has this (it's something very old: it existed already in the form of a little book when I began university) but, unfortunately it doesn't include Italian. I wonder if any Italian university has done something similar. – Charo Jun 10 '18 at 20:26

Wikipedia has these lists:

comprising English/Italian, French/Italian, German/Italian (and vice versa).

• That's probably the best thing available. Unfortunately it is lacking almost every term in my area (homotopy theory)... I guess we have our work cut out for us :) – Denis Nardin Jun 11 '18 at 15:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.