I am researching local or tourist-oriented facilities in regards of Food/Lodging industry.

Could you please clarify the difference among,

• Bettola
  • Osteria
  • Taverna
  • Trattoria
  • Ristorante

And among

• Locanda
  • Pensione
  • Albergo
  • Hotel

I did look all these words in Ragazzini's dictionary, but it is still not clear if there are socio-economical or cultural distinctions, a grading, or a scale of perception of values, not really economical, but of quality?

For example, I heard some would try first Trattorias first, before restaurants, as their "cucina" is supposed to be more genuine?

Thank you.

Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Aug 18 '19 at 13:29
    This is a related question which partially answers yours. – Charo Aug 19 '19 at 15:28
  • Thank you for the welcome, and for the link. I did see that question, but I would need a clarification in relation to the full scope of those words. It would seem that, in context, they refer to specific realities of the Italian cultural and socio-economic landscape? Thanks again. – gsl Aug 19 '19 at 16:46
  • Trattoria, Taverna, Osteria, Bettola: sinonimi? italianoquestosconosciuto.blogspot.com/2010/03/… – user519 Aug 19 '19 at 19:16
    If anything, I suggest browsing the not exactly new either, but good dictionary of synonyms by Niccolò Tommaseo: for instance, here (see “taverna”) and here (see “osteria”). – DaG Aug 20 '19 at 9:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.