This question is prompted by me watching the Gomorra TV series, where (I assume) most of the characters speak Neapolitan. I was curious on how intelligible the dialect (as spoken by the characters there) is to speakers of a more 'standard' Italian. Or, phrased differently: would someone from a different region of Italy need subtitles to understand what the characters were saying?

• Welcome to Italian.SE! – Charo Nov 29 '17 at 8:20
  • I'm from Bologna and I've seen that movie without subtitles... I didn't understand nothing!! – Matte.Car Nov 29 '17 at 8:25
    @Matte.Car You mean you didn't understand anything, right? – Koz Ross Nov 29 '17 at 8:33
    @Matte.Car: “I didn't understand nothing!!”, as in “I didn't understand anything” or “There is nothing I didn't understand”? – DaG Nov 29 '17 at 8:35
    @KozRoss: If you mean the TV series rather than the movie, could you please specify so in the question, rather than just in the link? (I don't if there are significant differences among the two, actually.) – DaG Nov 29 '17 at 8:49

I'm from Bergamo (Lombardy) and I find Neapolitan one of the hardest dialects to understand. If I listen carefully I can get the meaning of most phrases (or at least I can deduce it), but I can't understand many of the words. Without subtitles, I can definetely understand Spanish better than Neapolitan.

I tried to watch this trailer and, even if I understand some sentences here and there, I would hate to watch this without subtitles (I grew up in the north east of Italy, near Venice).

I have problems even watching the Sicilian scenes in the Godfather without subtitles (it's a different regional language, but both are really far from my own).

I would say that barring good familiarity with the Neapolitan dialect, understanding the TV show Gomorra is very hard even for native speakers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.